A 2-day Systems Thinking Open Course - October 2018
Tuesday, 2 October 2018 at 09:00 to Wednesday, 3 October 2018 at 17:00
The modern business world is full of complex problems and risks. Systems Thinking provides a very powerful framework for dealing with this.
However, applying Systems Thinking requires not only skills and knowledge, but also a profound understanding of Systems’ Principles.
Who Should Attend?
This is a course open to anybody who wishes to apply Systems Thinking (a universal skill for the 21st century).
Benefits to the Individual and Business
During an intensive two days of teaching and practical ‘hands on’ exercises, participants will be challenged to develop the skills and mind-set that can be applied to any situation irrespective of context.
At the end of the course participants will:
- have an understanding of the concepts and principles of Systems Thinking and how it can be applied through the appropriate blend of people, process and tools
- be able to think about problems and opportunities in a new and exciting way
- be provided with a common language and approach to addressing complexity
- be able to use a number of systems tools in a systematic manner to analyse complex situations and address problems and opportunities in a logical evidence-based way.
Introduction and Delegate expectations
Systems, Systems Thinking and Systems Approaches
Why Systems Thinking?
- Emergence - desirable and undesirable
What is a system?
Purpose and Context
Subsystems and super-systems
Events, patterns and behaviour
- Balancing feedback
- Reinforcing feedback
- System stability
- System Stock and Flows
Doing Systems Thinking
- Divergent and Convergent Thinking
- Spray Diagram
- Multiple Cause Diagram/Causal Loop Diagram
Systems Thinking in Practice
- Hard and Soft Systems Methodologies
- Systems Dynamics
- Unified Systems Methodology
The Systems Thinking Tool BoxTools for understanding purpose
- 18 Word Statement
- Quad of Aims
Review of Day 1
Tools for understanding Context
- Causal Loop Diagram
Tools for understanding what’s inside and what’s outside
- Systems Map
- Input-Output Analysis
Tools for Understanding Systems Structure
- Influence Diagram
- N2 Analysis
- Matrix Diagram
Tools for understanding System Behaviour
- Sequence Diagram
Tools for change
- Morphological Analysis
- Paired comparison
- Decision matrix
Using Systems Thinking
- Understanding Situations
- Fixing Broken Systems
- Designing Systems
A printable version of this information can be downloaded here. Also, available to download is a more detailed document describing the course content, this can be downloaded here.
Dates and Venue
The course will be held on Tuesday 2nd and Wednesday 3rd October 2018 and will be delivered at our Rugby office.
The cost of the course which includes all courseware, lunch and refreshments is £420 + VAT per delegate. This does not include accommodation. A list of accommodation in the Rugby area can be provided if required.
Book Online Now